1. Okay, I know Host Medal provides web hosting service. But what does that mean exactly?
In short, we help you have your own website on the Internet.
For more details, web hosting service consists of domain hosting and web hosting. To have a website, you first need to have an address, like www.yahoo.com, called a domain name. Think of it as a piece of land you own on the Internet. We’ll help you get one for free when you host with us! Also, you need to have web hosting. Think of it as a building—the actual content—on the land you own. It may be a piece of art, some literature (blogging!), or any piece of content, images, and information you want to put on there. At Host Medal, we provide affordable service with abundant resources for your web needs so you don’t have to worry about anything but focusing on making great websites!
2. What is a domain name?
A domain name is your website address on the Internet. It is unique and branded by you. You totally and legally own it. And Host Medal gives all that for free with hosting.
3. What is web hosting?
Web hosting refers to the infrastructure that we operate that allows you to have and deliver websites. Web hosting directly links with domain names.
4. What are disk space and bandwidth?
Disk space is the size your website can be. Every single content on your website takes up space. That’s why you need hosting. Bandwidth is how much that content can send in a month. When a person visits your website, our server has to send the content to them.
At Host Medal, 99% of our customers never have to worry about space and bandwidth. The remaining 1% usually consists of criminals, resources abusers (yes, we get that a lot), and big companies that have to utilize a lot of server capacity. We cannot provide hosting service to them at the moment. In the very rare event that you actually do use up the disk space and bandwidth legitimately, i.e. not against our Terms of Service, we may have to ask you for a little extra price to be able to continue providing you good service since we incur costs ourselves.
5. What is PHP, CGI, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Python, etc?
They are programming languages that allow your websites to be dynamic and more robust. Yes, Host Medal supports them all and more. WordPress and phpBB are examples. We recommend that you do some research to find one that best fits your needs.
6. What is Uptime?
Uptime refers to the time your website is online. We offer 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, which means within a month the amount of time your website is online is at 99.9% of the total period. If we fail to keep our promise, we will give you that hosting month for free.
7. How do I pay for web hosting service?
You can pay easily and securely online when you order your hosting service. We also accept PayPal, which is one of the most secure payment platforms in the world. In order to enable automatic billing, which means you won’t have to worry about paying us each month and let us do it for you, you will need to click Subscribe when paying with PayPal.
8. Do I have to register a new domain name when I get a new host?
We hope that the new host is us. No, you don’t have to register any new domain name. You own any domain name you’ve registered. At Host Medal, we make the transfer process easy and simple when you want to transfer from another web host to us.
9. Will Host Medal design my website?
No, because we offer web hosting service, not web design. But worry not, you have one of the best Website Builders on the planet that is very easy to use and feature-packed. We offer it for free to our customers. Plus thousands of templates to choose from, again, for free.
10. Why don’t I just go with the cheapest host?
At $6.99 a month (the cost of a breakfast), Host Medal is already providing very affordable service for customers. Any web hosts that claim to offer you for cheaper won’t normally keep up their promise. They will either offer substandard platform that slows down your websites, weak security that may leak your information, or contain hidden fees. Host Medal never has any hidden fees, ever.
Revised February 3, 2013